Every year I have tons of families booking me for fall family photos here in Portland, but is that really the best time to book? In my opinion, it's not! We live in the PNW where it rains A LOT, and one of the reasons you probably like my portfolio so much is because it's full of sun (am I right?). If you book an outdoor family photo session in the summer, there is a really good chance that the sun will be out for us, but in the fall it gets less and less likely as the trees start to change. Last year we got incredibly lucky and had the sunniest fall ever! But I can't guarantee that every year, obviously 😉
Summer is special, and not just because it's finally sunny! Summer makes me think of sun-kissed skin, backyard BBQ's, camping, road tripping to the coast, warm nights, long days, flowy dresses, and spending tons of time with family. What does summer mean to you? Let's capture it!
Pros of Booking an Outdoor Family Photo Session in Summer:
- Almost guaranteed sun for your sunset session
- We probably won't get rained out
- It will be nice and warm, perfect for wearing dresses!
- The ground will be nice and dry so no one will be slipping in the mud while we're having our dance party.
- It's the perfect time for a beach session (hint, hint, lets go to the coast!)
- You don't have to worry about school so staying up a little later on a week night isn't a big deal (sunset is later this time of year).
- The general feeling in summer is relaxation, bring that vibe into your session! You'll be less stressed! (plus, you have more time to get ready since sunset is later)
- We can somehow incorporate ice cream into the end of the session. Come on, you know you want to.
Hopefully I've convinced you to book your outdoor family photo session in the summer this year, but if not, here are some more photos to tempt you with😉.
Pears! This is a private residence that I have permission to shoot in located in Hillsboro, Oregon.
I love shooting next to water in the summer. It looks beautiful and also helps to cool us down. I'm not opposed to ending your session with some splash time!
One more awesome reason to get your family session done in the summer... your photos will be all ready for your holiday card before the rush of the new school year and all the holiday shopping. Plus, sometimes you just need to change it up and get photos in a different season. Okay, that was two more reasons.
Share this story